Legalise Marriage Certificate in 2 Ways

legalise marriage certificate

Travelling abroad comes with its fair share of requirements that can overwhelm you, especially if it’s your first time. You have to juggle your work, and submission to authorities such as the embassy or consulate of your destination country and the government offices looking for valid passports, visas, apostilles, legalise marriage certificate and other documents.

If you are travelling to a country under the Hague Convention, you will need an apostille to authenticate your marriage certificate. One hundred and thirteen countries accept an apostille as the standard verification document. For the rest of the countries, you will need to legalise your marriage certificate with the government, foreign embassies and consulates.

Are you a UK or Singapore resident travelling abroad and need your marriage certificate legalised? At Wordsburg Translations, we are here to help. We will help you with document translation and legalisation, submission to authorities and everything in between to make your trip abroad go as planned.


What is Legalisation?

document translation and legalisation

Legalisation entails stamping, signing or attaching an apostille to a document to confirm the information therein is valid and authentic. This process is an important aspect when it comes to travelling overseas when the authorities in the destination country need to ascertain your documents are not fake.


Why and When Do I Need to Legalise a Marriage Certificate?

legalise marriage certificate

Not all countries request foreigners entering their land to produce a legalised marriage certificate. To know if you need a legalised marriage certificate, consult the foreign affairs ministry, the embassy, or that country’s consulate.

There are several reasons why a foreign authority may ask you to produce a legalised marriage certificate. These include:

  • When you and your spouse seek to adopt a child in a foreign country
  • When you seek to inherit foreign property owned by your deceased spouse
  • When you want to sell foreign property that belonged to you and your partner
  • When you want to purchase property overseas
  • When seeking dual citizenship
  • When you want to change your name while abroad
  • When you want to get married in a foreign country, couples who travel from their country to get married in a destination tourist resort. For example, you and your partner travelling to Hawaii to officiate the marriage there.


Who Legalises a Marriage Certificate?

authority submissions

You can have your marriage certificate legalised at the Legalisation Office, the foreign embassy and consulates in the UK. If you are travelling to a country in the Hague Convention, an apostille will be attached to the marriage certificate at the Legalisation office.

If your destination country is not in the Hague Convention, your marriage certificate may need legalisation in the Legalisation Office, the foreign embassy and the consulate. This may take time and can be so overwhelming.

In Singapore, the Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) will legalise your marriage certificate. If your destination country recognises the Hague Convention apostille, your legalisation process ends with the SAL. But if you are travelling to a non-Hague Convention country, you may need to do further legalisation and document translation at the foreign embassy or consulate.


How to Legalise a Marriage Certificate?

legalise marriage certificate

There are two ways you can legalise a marriage certificate in the UK:

Contact the Legalisation Office

The first option is to contact the Legalisation Office on their website, fill a legalisation request form and deliver the marriage certificate to their offices in London. This can take you up to ten days to get a response. You will also make an appointment with the foreign embassy or consulate if the country does not recognise an apostille.

This option is not for the faint-hearted. You have to stay in traffic for hours, withstand long queues at the different offices and pay for parking tickets. And again, you have to lose a day or two at work to set time for these trips. This brings us to the second option.

Use Translation Services for your legalisation

The second option is to use Wordsburg Translations for your legalisation services. We are a trusted travel and document services partner, having served individuals and companies seeking legalisation, translation among other services. We have extensive experience and are well-suited for the bureaucracy in legalisation offices, embassies and consulates. With our expertise and years of service, we have helped thousands of individuals with their document submission to authorities.

Do you want to save hours spent on traffic and these offices? Would you rather spend time with family and friends instead of preparing documents and booking appointments? Let Wordsburg Translations help you.

Are you looking to legalise your marriage certificate in Singapore? You can get the ready document in two ways. First, you can apply to have the SAL legalise your document on their website. This step involves requesting the service, paying the service fees, making an appointment to visit the SAL offices, and then delivering the documents to the offices. This is for the apostille recognising countries.

Suppose you are travelling to a non-Hague Convention country. In that case, you need to deliver your marriage certificate to the SAL offices then take it to the foreign embassy or consulate for further legalisation. At this point, you may require to look for a translator because some embassies require the marriage certificate in that country’s official language.

Suppose you and your spouse are travelling to China for business purposes, and the Chinese authority asks for a legalised marriage certificate. You would need to request legalisation via the website, make an appointment to SAL, deliver the marriage certificate for legalisation, and then wait a few days for a response.

Since China does not recognise an apostille, you would take the legalised document to the Chinese embassy in Singapore for verification, a step that also requires an appointment. You may also need to translate your marriage certificate to Mandarin if it’s a requirement. All these steps can overwhelm you, and missing any of these steps may lead to legalisation rejection.


To Conclude

You can avoid all these hurdles and frustrations by using the other option. Letting document experts do all the work for you at a small fee. At Wordsburg Tranhttp://www.slations, we offer all things document legalisation and translation. Our other services include visa applications, notarisation and commissioning of oaths.

About Isaac

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *